1/23/2014

Best Invention Ever: The Slow Cooker



Hellllllllllo everyone! Jennifer, here.

I only have 2 classes today, one at 9:30AM and the other at 2PM. Since I have a long break in between, I figured I'd update the blog about my latest online purchase and currently my most prized possession: my Hamilton Beach 4 quart slow cooker.


Isn't she beautiful? Even more beautiful is how much I paid for her: $16.

Last semester I lived off of junk food, frozen TV dinners, instant ramen, etc. Not only did I gain weight, but I just felt gross. Therefore I made it one of my New Years resolutions to cook more (and more healthily) while I'm here at school. I figured that if I were going to chef it up more often, I would need the tools of a chef, so I purchased this slow cooker, and boy was it a solid investment!!! I've only used it once and I'm already in love.

The other night Susie, one of my three roommates, and I had some friends over for a pot luck dinner. I made buffalo chicken dip using my brand new slow cooker to contribute to our feast, and it was a hit. I thought I had made enough to have leftovers, but everyone loved it so much that it was gone in an instant!

I figured I'd share the recipe with you all, with Super Bowl Sunday approaching and all. By the way, who are you all rooting for!? I'm ambivalent towards both the Seahawks and Broncos, so I really don't care. I just want to watch some good football!



Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients (makes about 5 cups of dip):

  • 2 (10 ounce) cans chunk chicken, drained
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup Ranch dressing
  • 3/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Hot Sauce
  • 2 cups of your favorite blend of shredded cheese
  • 1 bunch celery, cleaned & cut into 4 inch pieces
  • 1 box of Wheat Thins
  • *Note: for the "skinny" version of this recipe: use low-fat cream cheese, fat free Ranch dressing, low-fat shredded cheese, and reduced fat Wheat Thins. Tastes just as great!
Directions:
  1. Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half (1 cup) of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese over the top, cover, and cook on Low setting until hot and bubbly. Serve with celery sticks and Wheat Thins. If your slow cooker is awesome like mine and has a Keep Warm setting, be sure to use it when it's out on the table; this dip is definitely meant to be served warm.


ENJOY!!!

Next slow cooker recipe I'm going to try is Chicken & Dumplings soup. I'll be sure to post about it  later. :)

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!

    I am glad that you are trying to eat real food, Jen. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks appa :) I'm cooking more than I ever have before!

      Delete
  2. You made me think buying a slow cooker. I am proud of you being a deligent and health-concerned daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should buy one mom! They're so convenient, especially because you can leave them on all day while you're at work. Love you and miss you <3

      Delete

반갑습니다!

댓글을 남기시려면 작성자 선택 시 Google계정등으로 로그인 하신 후 남기시면 됩니다. 좋은하루 되세요!!!


Hi!
If you would like to leave a comment, please log in with your Google, WordPress, or AIM accounts. If you don't have one, please choose the option '이름/URL', then put your name or nickname in '회사명' leaving 'URL' blank.